I just returned from a two-week trip to California, where I was helping run a Common App and essay writing workshop at Hammer Prep, in San Diego. The workshops (we run two) are always a blast, and students leave with:
- A completed Common Application.
- A polished Common Application Essay.
- An Activities and Awards Resume, which can be used with all applications.
- A Master Plan for college admission success, which includes a task list and timeline of any remaining items: application deadlines, additional test dates, supplemental essay topics, etc.
Many students will also leave with:
- Supplemental essays.
- University of California essays.
If you are located in the San Diego area, I highly suggest checking out Hammer and asking about next years workshops for your rising juniors! I hope to be there again 🙂
Many changes on the horizon for applicants this summer/fall. Here’s another to add to the mix, this time from the UC system, regarding essay topics (more info here)!
So, what happened to the personal statement?
-We’ve replaced the personal statement with the new personal insight questions for the fall 2017 application. We hope this new format will give you clearer guidance and more flexibility in the kind of information you want to share with us.
-The personal insight questions are about getting to know you better — your life experience, interests, ambitions and inspirations.
-Think of it as your interview with the admissions office. Be open. Be reflective. Find your individual voice and express it.
-While this section of the application is just one part we consider when making our admission decision, it helps provide context for the rest of your application.
Check out the new prompts and the guidance provided:
Freshman questions & directions »
Transfer questions & directions »
Writing tips »